Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Night With The Movies

It takes being quarantined with pink-eye for me to catch up on movies. They ran the gamut tonight.
First, American Hardcore. I was a punk in the 80's. One of the first in my little high school. I really liked the music and I was into the whole 1, 2, fuck you sort of attitude. I was an early admirer of The Ramones. Saw them at The Motor City Roller Rink in 1979 at 14. Punk became a really violent bunch of crap after 1982 or so, and I got out of the scene because of the "hardcore" sort of stuff. I wanted to check out the sound, not kick the crap out of people, although I did a bit of that as necessary too. Once adolescent rebellion was over, so was my angst. I still like the sound though.
Next was Gattaca. Frightening! I do think that there will come a time when society in it's pursuit of all that is perfect and beautiful, will attempt to rid itself of "undesirable" characteristics,like homosexuality, obesity, myopia, heart problems or anything that is less than perfect. Being one of those less than perfect types, I feel compelled to overachieve as well. I can't get good grades, I have to get 4.0. I can only sing if it's perfect. I double and triple check all of my writing, for accuracy in spelling and content. So, I've bought into the bullshit too.
Lastly, I watched Little Miss Sunshine.It was an incredible movie. I like quirky people in real life too. The "normal" person is very boring. The more imperfections and odd habits the better in my book.The teenager reminded me of my son except mine is not anti-social.I like how it didn't end with the magic Hollywood ending too.Just like real life.
All in all, time well spent.

2 comments:

Denise Spring said...

Whoops that's Carol O'Connell,Ev.

Anonymous said...

The hardcore thing was too violent, too cliquish, too division-oriented. And you could grab a random bunch of music by the lesser bands, play it, and it would sound all the same. No individuality, just baldheaded auctioneers ranting away, and when 90% of all "songs" were variants upon the same theme, it got boring very quickly, and was always too testosterone-oriented, taken over by thugs and drunks. When I was about 16, I was able to go to the Latino Ballroom in Pontiac Twp. to see good new local bands (Mutants, Cinecyde, Destroy All Monsters, Algebra Mothers, etc.) and that was just wonderful. The bar scene kept kids out, even though it was largely meant for kids. Much of the music now is imitative of that stuff from over 25 years ago, which is really odd, since very little rock then imitated stuff from 25 years earlier than that. Creativity is anemic in modern music, alright.