Monday, December 11, 2006

Oh, to Be A Farmer's Wife?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




I am still plodding through " Middlemarch" by George Eliot. Not a quick read, that's for sure. 19th century English is harder than the slang ridden language we have now.
It's very discriptive, but it's essentially a soap opera and was published as a
serial in it's day. I love the pastoral, agrigarian way of life. I don't have personal experience other than Grandma's garden and the weeding I did every summer. I often think that an imprint of our family traditions is set on us almost in a genetic fashion.
My family were farmers until Grandpa left to work in a gravel pit. His grandparents had a dairy farm. The generations from his mothers side of the family, the Tibbits, came here from England in the late 17th century. They lived in New York for a while than moved over with all of the other settlers. The ancestors left the Colonies during the Revolution, because they were loyalists. Then we went to Canada. Our family settled in Quebec. There is a historical building called the Tibbit's Hill School . Their land was donated to found the school for the English speaking kids in the community.




Tibbits Hill School, Brohme County, Quebec, Canada

They returned to the US in the 19th century, and settled in St. Clair County, Michigan. They had huge families including my GG Grandparents, Abbie and Bert Tibbits, who were second cousins. They had 13 children. One being my Great Grandma Alice, my Grandpa's mom. It was all about the farming. One of their kids married one of the Schoenherr's sons. One of the roads in Macomb County bears their name.
I, although raised by one, am not a career gal. It was thrust upon me by my divorce. The happiest I ever was, was when I was baking bread, canning, raising babies, and keeping the home. A stroke at 29 altered all of that. I can still do things, but I get tired easily. Don't have the focus I once had.
I long for the days of simplicity. I do love technology, but I would still rather be at home than at my job, so I wax poetic about the farming days of yore. I don't know if I have what it takes to cut it as a farmers wife. I'm kind of a sissy, and much too "cityfied" I'm afraid. But I still have a great kitchen going. I still make meals nearly everyday. I can bake up a storm when time allows. I haven't made jam in a few years, nor baked bread in several.
But it's still in the blood........

No comments: