Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Prayer of St. Francis


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is discord, unity;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is error, truth;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is sadness, joy;
where there is darkness, light.

O Lord, grant that I may not so much seek happiness for myself,
to be consoled as to console,
to be loved as to love,
to be understood as to understand.

For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.

The older I get the more I am convinced this is what it's all about. I have my own little things
that I like to do for myself, but truly nothing makes me feel happier than doing something for someone else.
I plan on meditating on this prayer and seeing where it's application leads me.

No comments: