Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Liar


I have discovered something very disturbing about myself. It causes discomfort even confessing it.
I could be a great con woman.
Customers believe me when I say things. I pretend to be profoundly interested in their conversation, even seemingly amused, but I don’t mean it. I am able to feign sincerity very convincingly.
Like a super hero with a special power, I try not to abuse it. I use it only when necessary, like getting out of tickets, and recently, having my car towed. It’s frightening how easily the little lies slip out with the wide eyed look of innocence. Not that I don’t feel horrible right afterwards. I chastise myself for being such a weasel.
I am the person that will cheer in your corner making you feel like you can do anything.
I exude a quality of positive energy. I feel like I can do anything while in the midst of this surge of exuberance, because the person I’m talking to believes it too.
The only person I can’t ever convince is myself. I know what a liar I am. I don’t believe a thing I say.
The fact that I feel guilt is the only thing that assures my ultimate redemption.
Ongoing deceit isn't something I can hold up under.

No comments: