Friday, June 29, 2007

Church Ladies

Sunday morning was bright and sunny and the high heat and humidity that had plagued us through the previous week had abated. Today I was going to get out of this house and go to church. I haven't attended regularly in over a year after having become disenfranchised with the whole organized religion thing.
The couch with it's sunny windows and cool lake breeze beckoned but i was not to be deterred. I need to get back to my writing, specifically my book, but being held hostage in the mall and house was giving me very little of interest.
I walked down my street toward Kercheval having decided I was not up to the Catholic church. Too many things I don't know about that sect of religion to attempt it in my presently distracted state. I stopped at the corner of St Paul to wait for a carload of elderly ladies to turn. They smiled at me. I smiled and mouthed "good morning". They sped along their way.
I arrived at the church 5 minutes before service began. I saw the red car that had passed me, parked in the front of the church. I was greeted by a dear little lady who bid me to come in and that I had arrived on a very special day. I entered the social room to find 10 ladies. One aged in her 50's or 60's the rest 70 or older.
I was introduced to the pastor, a woman who just turned 70 and a recent graduate of seminary. It was the 50th anniversary of their Synod and there was cake to enjoy after service.
This was the entire congregation!All women, all elderly but myself and one other lady. Church was traditional including hymns and an organ. The pastor used references to news stories to illustrate her sermon which was topical and interesting.
Afterward we had cake and coffee. We chatted about the area and they asked about my kids. They hoped I would return and one lady said " If you're looking for a fella, you'll have to bring your own". All of these ladies are widows.
My kids will never go.
I'm definitely returning.

No comments: