Sunday, January 28, 2007

WWBD?


The Buddha said of death:

Life is a journey.
Death is a return to earth.
The universe is like an inn.
The passing years are like dust.

Regard this phantom world
As a star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp - a phantom - and a dream.


The Bible Says:

4 "Show me, O LORD, my life's end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.


So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


Because I've never really studied Buddhism, I thought I'd do a mini comparative.
Buddhism believes we return to this Earth until we reach enlightenment.Christianity says we have one life, and we need to find wholeness from God rather than self.
I guess I believe somewhere in between. I don't like the idea of returning here. I do like the idea of learning as much as I can about life while I am here. But I don't buy into the complete restrictive nature that Christianity has become. No drinking, no smoking, no sex,no worldly music. So how do you experience life? I lived the whole Ultra Right Wing Christian wifey thing. It was ridiculous. I felt I needed to be protected from the World, because it sought to hurt me.I have become "Buddhist" in my perspective that whether or not I get hurt depends on my reaction to things. My divorce, while painful and leaving me in poverty, for example,is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and has actually helped my children as well.They'll now have the opportunity to develop into "whole" beings, unrestricted by archaic conservatism.
The more I compare these two religions, the more similarities I find. There are enough Doctrinal differences to keep me from considering myself a Buddhist, but I'll take the wisdom of others and consider its value.

1 comment:

steve on the slow train said...

You've experienced a pretty extreme version of Christianity. Unfortunately the right-wing fundamentalists have co-opted the term "Christian" to refer only to themselves. Jesus says to love God with all your heart and with all your mind and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself. I can't say that I come close to doing that, but I try. The Buddha might have a problem with the concept of self, but one of his titles is The Compassionate.