Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Them that's got shall get, them that's not shall lose"-


I am furious!
My son has been sick for 2 days. He has a high fever, sore throat and runny nose. I took him to Cornerstone Health on 12 mile in St. Clair Shores. They made a big show of putting a mask on him and flagging him as a possible H1N1 case and filled out a CDC form.
Like a lot of folks in Michigan, I am without work. I receive Medicaid benefits for my family. But, Cornerstone doesn't take Medicaid. They told me, "we'll try to bill it, but we don't take that insurance, so you'll need to sign this document that makes you responsible for the payment"
"How much is it?" I asked
"$150 + lab fees"
We left. I make $1040 a month in unemployment. I can't afford it.
My own doctor that doesn't take Medicaid, (he has seen Evan since he was 1), but he will see me for $50. What the hell?
So, I can go some dumb ass clinic that doesn't follow CDC protocol* for 3 times the price, or see my family doctor, who is wonderful for a third.
(*They made Evan wear a mask, but then left us in the waiting room with other people for an hour. If he had it, I would logically be exposed and so we should have been quarantined from the other patients.)
Ever wonder why people with Medicaid are sick more often than not? Maybe it's the poor quality of care. My Medicaid doctor and most doc's who take it, only see Medicaid patients 2 days a week. My doc is on vacation, so tough crap for me. And my son.
Medicaid is a joke. Just like 911 in the hood. When I had Blue Cross, they couldn't kiss my ass enough.

No comments: