Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nature in the Big City


There have been many feasts for the eye today.
This morning-
Swan tip ups:
The swans tip their butts in the air to feed on the stuff in the lake. Ducks do it and so do geese. Swans have much bigger behinds,and black legs that keep on kicking while they tip. Hilarious!

Baby Bunnies:
In the small island of vegetation opposite of the pickup window at Tim Hortons, my keen eye (from generations of hunters, though not me) spies a brown rabbit.She is squatting down and then I see the reason. She's nursing a brood of babies! Tiny babies, eyes still closed.They're furred though and have tiny ears.

Baby Birdie:
While unpacking another load of stuff into the new duplex, I spy birds above us and my son says MOVE! They poop on the space we previously occupied. They're screeching at us madly. Next to the air conditioner, a baby. He's out of the nest too early. He has fuzz still.Mom and Dad feed him from his hiding spot near the conditioner and under the deck. Hope the alley cat doesn't get him.

I love nature. I hate the way we're pushing animals from their natural habitats. Too many squashed critters too. Makes me feel very sad.
Recently, a mother coyote and her 6 pups were relocated from Grosse Pointe Shores to the "Thumb" area. ( Those not from Michigan,call a friend)

No comments: