Thursday, August 23, 2007

I'll never grow up


Is there something wrong with me because I feel more comfortable with younger friends?
People my own age tend to be old farts. They aren't typically computer savvy. They show disdain for My Space. They do little dreaming or creative thinking instead focusing on edging the yard and home improvement. BOOOOORRRRRRING!
I found myself, in 2001, right back where I'd left off in 1984; college student, finding a career path, working loathsome retail jobs, except while raising two kids.
I have a couple of friends, 40ish like me, that are still interesting, fun, creative, however, they are the exception.
My Mom is still alot of fun, and so is my Dad. Downright silly at times too.
I've had two 22 year old employees tell me I don't act my age. I take it as a compliment. I am starting to wonder if this is why after 6 years of divorce, I still haven't dated. Part of this is the vibe of "leave me alone" I apparently give off. I was told by a customer of my former job that men my age probably think I'm much younger than I am and are fearful of coming off as lecherous.
Dunno....... kinda lonely sometimes.... but not for some old fart that edges the lawn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd much rather work with a forty something person with the personality of a person in their twenties, than a twenty something person with the personality of a person in their forties.

-P