Monday, November 27, 2006

Damn you Sam Walton!

I have a dilemma about shopping at Walmart. I am quite poor. I work full time but I make so little that I am getting Public Assistance. Not proud of it , but I have no choice. I am trying to finish college, but it's hard to do with work, kids, and lack of time.
I have shopped at Walmart because it's very cheap. I can spend as little as $80 a week for groceries and sundries. I can also buy a huge jug of laundry soap for $10 that washes 80 loads. Having to wash clothes for myself and 2 teenagers, I do a lot of laundry.
I buy clothes too. I am a plus sized gal and clothes at the mall are way too expensive. I don't really have a budget for clothes, so if I can spend $10 for a shirt, it won't destroy me. The mall has Torrid and Lane Bryant and those shirts are
$45.
I know people that work at Walmart. Yes they make very little, their benefits, if offered aren't the greatest. But, I have news for all of you; it's like that everywhere. Especially if you're undereducated or like me, never worked until you were 35. I work for a very LARGE conglomerate, I make $20000 a year as an asst. mngr.
I feel horrible knowing that Chinese workers are slaving to make this stuff I buy. Hell, I feel like I'm one of them.
Until this government demands the same deal foreign countries have concerning imports, we're all screwed. I mean if we start a company in Michigan that pays$18 an hour to make all of the products they sell at Walmart, you'd have a line for miles, and baby I'd be one of them. Corporate greed would drop that down to $8 an hour
I'm sure. With the economy being so bad in Michigan, most of the places around here actually pay less per hour than 5 years ago. They figure we're all desperate, and they're right.

No comments: