Thursday, July 1, 2010

Encourage One Another


Being a friendly person, I engage in conversations with my not only friends but my neighbors. One topic is education and jobs. My neighbor is an EMT and in nursing school. She is a single mother of 3 and her sister moved in recently with her twin girls. I have often said hi and chatted with them. Yesterday they asked me how college was going and I told them that although I had a 3.6 GPA, I would not be eligible for Baker's program because I have to have 4.0. I also shared my despair at the government not passing the latest unemployment bill, so I will be losing my last 10 weeks of benefits. I have shared my situation with "friends" that I have known for years. My mother has spoken to her friends and church about the situation and they have lifted me in prayer.
Many people of my own personal circle have been supportive, but quite a few of them also have insinuated that I am somehow negative,and that I don't really want to work because I am lazy or not trying. Some of my Mom's friends went a step further and just said that I was not willing to take what I could get. The neighbors? They encouraged me and told me they'd pray for me. That God cared about me and as long as I trusted in Him and worked hard to do my part, He would bless me with a career.
They understand that I am not complaining, but I am just reaching out in my own frustration. By the way- the neighbor's sister is a Katrina survivor. She had a really good job as a nurse in New Orleans. She lost her job, her home and has been seeking work in Michigan because she has family here. She is leaving soon though. She can't go back to New Orleans. The rent in her area went from $1000 a a month to $4000 a month. She knows better than anyone what can happen to people that love God. They CAN lose everything, but they keep on trying. And they look to one another for encouragement. I can only think that some people never learned that in Sunday school.


Hebrews 10:23-25 ESV
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.


1 Thessalonians 5:11 ESV
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

1 comment:

Denise Spring said...

and I realize, some have never had any religious instruction. That's just sad