Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Unscheduled


I have no set schedule in my life other than college and taking my son to school.
It makes me sound like a horrible slacker but it has done wonders for creativity and self-esteem.
My former life in the drudgery of commission sales, made me feel as though my value was entirely based on my ability to force vitamins and herbs down the throat of customers. My previous position as wife made me feel like nothing I did was good enough. In my interim as one of the jobless, I have found that I am available for service to my church, I am always there for my kids, I have time to go places and see things so my writing has some substance to it. I have pause to smell the roses, and to really listen to what people have to say.
I get up to take Evan to school. I have to clean, take dogs out for potty, cook and do laundry. I have lots of homework to do being in a pre-med program for nursing, but I am able to do this within my own time constraints.
I have resumed friendships with people from high school an hope to keep in touch with them. I have been going out on weekends, which I haven't done in nearly 2 years.
I am actually enjoying life.
I've never made less money than I do now. I live on a very slim lifestyle, but conversely, I have never been happier.
With my federal extensions, I have another 46 weeks of unemployment after exhausting my first 26 weeks. I have looked for a job. I look online daily and keep my eye out for signs as well as my ear to the ground. Michigan is at about 12% unemployment. My field, sales is not really hiring right now. So I'll continue my education and try to make a better life for my kids and I.

No comments: