Friday, August 1, 2008

Pomp and Circumstance


All of the graduation festivities are over and my oldest, Abigail is getting ready for college. She pondered why i hadn't finished college myself.
Simple: My kids where my priority. I took parenting very seriously as a career. I didn't have kids to push them off on a daycare center or a nanny. I wanted them to be excellent individuals. They did have to do the childcare thing after the divorce, but I had put the core time in with them. I taught them to read. I encouraged their individuality and interest in music.
I'm so sad when I see people drop off infants at a center. I know that sometimes things happen; divorce, single parents, been there.
I've met the kids whose parents seemingly had them because it was " the thing to do". They're like accessories, a Prada bag or scarf. The kids are left with others deemed sufficient for child care. Those kids are usually into drugs and or alcohol. They have very low self-esteem.
Better to never have kids if you don't take it seriously. Seriously......

No comments: