Monday, August 4, 2008

I can't believe you like money too; we should hang out!


I watched the movie Idiocracy yesterday after having heard it was a must see movie.
I found it to be very funny and actually profound in it's view of the future. I work in a mall, so I can tell you, the future is here.
People all around me act much in the same way as those in the movie. Pop culture is all encompassing. Trying to do well or be enlightened is looked down upon as trying to be a brainiac or thinking you're better than someone else. Because I like the process of linking my reading or movies to real life, I have discovered a correlation.
I am a working class person, and I was raised in a working class home. My mom was of the opinion that being poor didn't mean I had to be stupid. She wanted better for me than to toil away in a factory like she did. I am trying to finish my education because I am an excellent student. My lowest GPA has been 3.6.
I am reminded consistently by others that living in Grosse Pointe is elitist. I am in some way a snob because I live in a wealthy community, although I am still working class, as is everyone on my street. I want to live in a nice place that I can enjoy. I want my kids to have a superior education. This somehow makes me uppity according to some.
Just like in the movie, Any attempt at being striving for something better is frowned upon. Most of the people around me are renters. We are a mixed population of equal parts white and black. We're all just trying to have a nice place to live, nice parks to go to, and get our kids a great education.
So knock it off already. Grosse Pointe isn't like in the movies. The majority of us aren't like 90210 or Grosse Pointe Blank. I really think that those making all of the fuss are likely the biggest snobs of all. Get over it already!

No comments: