Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Sisterhood




At a visit to my local bookseller, I was lamenting the fact that there are so few good ghost stories. Most horror stories are a gory state of affairs. I really want something that is going to scare the crap out of me, like Salem's Lot did when I was a kid. ( The book, not the movie). So I decided I would write one myself. I've had this story working in my head for a while now. It has been screaming to get out so here goes. Happy Halloween Early!




The past two weeks had been a whirlwind for Kari. Last week after a visit to her gynecologist, she discovered she had syphilis. She knew she had only slept with her husband of 6 years, who had been home from his rock tour 3 months earlier.
When she confronted Rob with this he immediately accused her of infidelity and when she denied this, he gave her a black eye. Kari decided enough was enough. She'd been running through a plan to leave him for about a year. It wasn't the first time he'd hit her. It was the first time he'd given her a disease and the first proof she'd had of his affairs.
That night he drank himself into a drunken stupor. He usually did this after he hit her. She went into the study and went online to the bank accounts. She had set up her own account a few months ago. She transferred $30,000 from his account into hers. That left him with $15,000. His house was paid for in cash. Kari had set up automatic bill pay for all of the utilities and taxes. The only money she ever withdrew was for food, clothes and dog expenses for her rottweiler Rudy.
The next morning Rob was apologetic as always.
"Oh baby, I'm so sorry I lost it. Let's makeup okay?"
" Honey, I've already forgotten about it. I have a class to go to but I'll see you tonight. Quesadillas okay for dinner?"
"Whatever you wanna make baby"
She gave him the last kiss he'd ever get from her and smiled sweetly. She let Rudy outside, gave him fresh water and food. She got in her green Volkswagen Beetle and left. Classes were a ruse she had been using for about a year to get away from him and explain her absences.He was too self centred to ever ask about them. She wasn't fooling around, just trying to find a life outside of the abuse.
She called a real estate agent she'd seen online about a 2 bedroom flat for rent.
He made an appointment with her for a hour later. She went to Burger King and ordered a Whopper Junior and diet Coke at the drivethru. She sat in her car and ate it slowly, savoring her thrill at her nearing freedom.
She made her way to the neighborhood early to look around. It was quiet and lovely. Lots of trees and old homes from the 20's and 30's. There was a park nearby and a lovely little church that was built in the 30's out of stone.
Kari wasn't really one for religion. She and her older brother Nick were raised by Pentecostal extremists. Her brother knew from age 15 that he was gay. He left home at 17. She was rebellious in general and left home 2 days after graduation to live with Rob. She was 18, he was 35. Her parent's pastor told them that they needed to shun their children, and they did. Their church was far more important than their kids. They told both of them that when they were ready to confess their sins and live "Godly", they would forgive them. That was 9 years ago. Recently she'd begun to feel the need to find her own relationship with God. She believed, just not in the vengeful punishing God her parents believed in.
The agent showed up at the apartment.
"I hope you weren't waiting long"
"No I just came early to check out the area"
"Well, let's take a look"
Kari's breath was taken away by the first glance. It was gorgeous. Honey colored wood floors, leaded beveled glass on the front windows. A large bay window glowed with sunlight in the dining room. There were two bedrooms, a large living room, a cute bathroom and kitchen. She loved it!
"The online description said dogs were okay"
" Sure as long as it's well behaved"
"He's been through all of his obedience classes and graduated at the top of the class. I'd feel more secure as a single woman on my own with a dog"
"Sure, it's no problem. Your credit check was excellent, buy the way"
"I'm ready to sign the contract if you have it"
"Right here, and the security deposit?"
"I have cash if that's okay?"
"Absolutely"
Kari gave him the money, got her receipt and he gave her the keys. As he left she dialed her brother's number.
"Well, I did it. I got the flat. I'm leaving the jerk"
"I'm so proud of you for leaving that asshole Kari"
"I'm going to need your help Nick. Tomorrow's your day off right?"
" Yep, I'll bring the van and meet you at the house"
"Thanks so much. I love you"
"Love you too sis"

No comments: